I love yogurt. In fact, there is a tub of yogurt on the top shelf of my fridge on a regular basis. It only makes sense for me to also be fond of any type of borani…well unless someone decides to make one with Brussels Sprouts, then the chances are as high as 99% that I will not be a fan. In my humble opinion eggplant and pomegranate go very well together, hence, today’s recipe.
I hope you will enjoy today’s recipe as much as I do!
You can roast or grill the eggplants. Just roast them along with the garlic.
For best results allow the onions to slowly cook until golden.
The beginning of magic!
The pomegranate molasses that I used is one the sour side. If you prefer your final product less sour, then you might want to add a bit of sugar to balance things out a bit.
An important part of this process is to use a hand blender to process the dip.
If you are vegan, or need a vegan option, you can omit the yogurt.
- 2lb eggplant
- 1 onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- ¼ pomegranate molases
- 1tbsp dried mint
- 1 cup yogurt
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and place eggplants in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until eggplant is cooked
- Place garlic in a foil pouch and allow to roast along with the eggplants
- In the mean time slice onions in half moons, then sauté in olive oil until golden
- Separate eggplant pulp from skin, then add to the onion along with garlic
- Cook eggplant and onion for 15 minutes stirring constantly so that any moisture is evaporated and the eggplant is fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add pomegranate molasses and cook for 5 minutes longer
- Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with 1 tablespoon of dried mint; allow for the flavor of the mint to rise, then turn off and let sit until serving time
- Allow the dip to sit about 2 hours before serving so that the flavor come together
- Just before serving add yogurt and warmed olive oil infused with dried mint
- Decorate with a few pomegranate arils.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with bread slices
- For a vegan option, omit yogurt
Recipes from Pomegranate Week 2016
Pomegranate Hazelnut Crostini
Recipes from Pomegranate Week 2014
Zeytoon Parvardeh ~ Persian Pomegranate, Olive, & Walnut Dip
Recipes from Pomegranate Week 2010
POM Wonderful Dinner Party ~ Persian Ruby
How to Open & Seed a Pomegranate
Rice with Pistachios & Pomegranate Arils
Pomegranate & Lime Glazed Cornish Hens
Recipes from Pomegranate Week 2009
Persians’ Love Affair with Pomegranate
Khoresht Fesenjan ~ Persian Pomegranate & Walnut Stew